One of the important spots in a kitchen that sometimes might slip from our attention is a kitchen sink and drain. These two components always get exposed to debris, fat, oil, grease, and other materials from the dishes. When all this dirt is finally piling up, you will get nothing but a clogged drain, which can be very stressful. To prevent this from happening, there are some tips that you can try to make your kitchen sink and drain stay clean.
(You may also like this: How To Detach Kitchen Cabinets In 3 Quick Guides)
How to Keep Kitchen Drains Clean and Unclogged
To do these simple steps, you will need simple and affordable supplies that you have to prepare, such as:
- Boiling water
- White vinegar
- Dish soap/detergent
- Baking soda
1. Baking Soda and Vinegar Mix
These two supplies are very popular stuff that you have to have in a kitchen to solve some chores problems. The step to use this combo is quite simple:
- First of all, prepare a gallon of boiling water and pour it into the sink. The purpose of this step is to make fat, oil, and grease in the drain become slightly ‘soft’.
- Second, pour 1 tbsp of baking soda and a cup of vinegar into the sink and let it sit for about an hour.
- Next, pour another boiling water into the sink to rinse the baking soda and vinegar mix.
- If your drain is still unclogged, you could pour another boiling water into the sink.
(You may also like this: Rustic Kitchen Ideas: 10+ Natural Elements to Warm Your Hub)
2. Dish Soap/Detergent
Another ingredient that you can try to clean the drain is dish soaps or detergent. The steps are pretty similar to the previous one which are:
- You could start the process by pouring a gallon of boiling water into the sink.
- Then proceed with a spoonful of dish soap powder to the sink and let it stay about an hour. By using dish soap or detergent, you can also make it as a ‘perfume’ to remove the stinky odor.
- After an hour, pour another boiling water and check if the drain is still unclogged.
(You may also like this: Kitchen Storage Ideas: 10+ Mesmerizing Styles You Need to Steal)
3. Regular Cleaning
The last step is basically the simplest and the basic thing that you need to do as a homeowner to keep the sink and drain controlled before everything is piled up. Regular cleaning can be done once in one or two weeks. Some things that you can check regularly in this step are:
- Check if there’s any leak that might cause dampness, mold, or mildew, and fix it.
- Doing the cleaning by using a homemade mix as mentioned above.
- Checking and cleaning the drain to make sure that big wastes are not thrown away to the sink directly.
- Other methods that you may find useful and effective are to make the area around the sink clean and waste-free.
If you spot leaks and continuous clog in your sink drain, you might have to open up the drainage by yourself or a plumber.
(You may also like this: Minimalist Kitchen Ideas: 10+ Chic Looks for Your Modern House)
Now try these simple steps to clean your kitchen sink and drain and make them odorless and unclogged!