Decorating your outdoor is also important because it’s one of the best spots when it comes to coziness to do various joyful activities. There are tons of decoration styles to use and one of the common ones is fairy lights. Fairy lights are very popular items for their effect that can create a dreamy look. It’s usually used in a bedroom but not limited to use outdoors. Some people may find it easier and aesthetic when they hang them on the tree.
(You may also love this: Backyard Design Ideas: Stunning Ideas You Might Love)
For you who are planning to use fairy lights to decorate backyards, we got your back with this article!
How to Decorate Backyards with Fairy Lights
1. Make Sure to Measure
The first detail that every homeowner has to make sure of is the size of the surface that will be used. In this case, please make sure the length of the fairy lights is enough to cover or ‘good’ enough to decorate the spot you’re planning to make more stunning.
This way, you can also take extra caution just in case you need an extended cord when it’s far from the outlet. By knowing the width of the surface and string lights’ length, you can also create your own design so it looks more eye-catching.
(You may also love this: Cozy Backyard Ideas: Attractive Layout for Casual Look)
2. Optimizing Patios or Pergolas
If hanging fairy lights on the trees is too normal, then why not using your existing pergola or patio cover? The steps are quite simple and easy:
- Just like the first step, you have to make sure the layout of the pergola or patio cover and the distance from the outlet.
- If you have the desired design or layout, you can first make a raw draft to make sure everything in your plan.
- It’s indeed much easier to have supports to hang the string lights but if it’s not available, you can use hooks or nails as additional supports.
(You may also love this: Backyard Sitting Area Ideas: Lovely Inspirations for Attractive Outdoor)
3. Be Creative!
This method is for you who don’t have a pergola or patio ceiling to hang the string lights. You can make your own post as supports and spread it across the backyard. To make this feature, you will need some supplies and materials:
Supplies and tools you will need to make posts are:
- Buckets or planters
- Concrete mix
- Wood post or pipes
- Nails or hooks
The steps are:
- This step is optional for you who want to make the bucket or planter looks more colorful, you can use paint to colorize it and do this step before everything to make your work easier.
- Make a concrete mix by following the manufacturer’s instructions to know the amount that you need.
- Once you’re done with the mixing, place the post in the middle of the buckets or planters and fill it in with the mix.
- Please make sure to use another support to make sure that the processed supports are even until they dry.
- Once they’re dry, attach hooks or nails to hang the string lights.
(You may also love this: Backyard Dining Ideas: Captivating Concept for Cozy Outdoor Vibe)
4. Use the Fence
Just like the wall of the bedroom, this is a classic way to hang string lights without any hassle and super easy. This step is easier for you who have a wood or vinyl fence because these fence types have posts and planks. A few tools that you will need are hooks or nails with the steps:
- Once you know the length of the string lights and the distance between each post, use hooks or nails as supports.
- By using a hammer, fasten each support and you’re ready to hang string lights along your backyard fence.
(You may also love this: Boho Backyard Ideas: 10+ Chic Decors for Unique Outdoor View)
Grab your tools and materials and start to brighten up your outdoors now!