Just like your house, your furniture will have a time where they look worn and need changes here and there, especially if it’s something that you use often for a long time like dining chairs. When the color of the fabric becomes blurry and shabby, it’s a great moment to change the cushion cover.
Before deciding on hiring a professional, you might want to do it yourself to get a pleasing feeling for recovering your own furniture. It can be quite easy to change the cover of the dining chairs by yourself because you can choose the fabric that you like. On this page, we will show you some simple guides on how to recover dining room chairs by yourself!
(You might want to see this: Open Dining Room Ideas: Inspiring Plans to Save More Space)
Before starting the process, these are a few tools and supplies that you have to prepare:
- Safety gears
- Tape measure/ruler
- Utility knife
- New fabric Pen/marker
- Staple gun
1. Old Cover Removal
The first step to do is by removing the old cover that you want to change. What you have to:
- Check at the bottom of the chair. Usually, the cushion has screws that hold it to the chair.
- By using a screwdriver, remove the screws on each corner. Once you’re done with this step, remove the original fabric by taking off the staples around it.
(You might want to see this: Cozy Dining Room Ideas: Casual Layouts for Ultimate Comfort)
2. Trace New Cover Shape
Now you can go to make a new cover with the new fabric by following the steps below:
- By using the cushion or the old fabric, try to shape a new cover by putting it on top of the new fabric.
- You can make sure of the size by using a measuring tape or ruler.
- Once you get the perfect shape, mark the shape by using a pen or marker.
- Tips: if you use the cushion to trace the new fabric, it’s always good to give extra excess.
- Next is you can cut the newly shaped fabric based on the trace that you made.
(You might want to see this: Neutral Dining Room Ideas: 10+ Mesmerizing Decors You Have to See)
3. Cover with New Fabric
Last but not least, you’re ready to finish the hard work.
- Now that you have a perfectly shaped new cover, you will just have to apply it to the cushion.
- Make sure that all sides are neat and well-attached to the cushion using the staple gun.
- Once you make sure that there’s no curved corner, put it back to the chair and fasten it with screws. Voila! You get a new face of dining chairs in the blink of eyes!
(You might want to see this: Rustic Dining Room Ideas: 10+ Earthy Elements to Create a Warm Look)
Some homeowners love to do every decorating job by themselves because they could design and finish the work the way they want. The DIY work will also make every homeowner feels free to express their creativity and imagination into something real. Of course, hiring a professional is not a crime because you definitely want that perfect and flawless overall finish.
Now it’s time for you to explore your creativity by recovering your old furniture cover with a new look!